The Friends of The Royal Hospital Donnybrook (FRHD), founded by Mr. Dick Tennant, was registered as a Charitable Company in 1989.
The Friends and RHD have a wonderful collection of paintings by Irish and International artists which is on permanent display in the Hospital to be enjoyed by patients, staff and visitors.
Over the years “The Friends” have funded a number of research programmes and have made major contributions to capital projects such as upgrading wards and developing new services. Perhaps the most visible signs of The Friends’ contribution is in patient care where many valuable services such as additional ambulances, a coffee shop and a raised garden for patients have been provided. The Friends have purchased the ANDAGO, this is the first machine of its kind in Ireland. The Andago is a gait trainer which allows patients to walk in weeks instead of months.
The Friends hand over the keys to the new Ambulance Bus funded by our Annual Golf Day. (Picture right)
“The Friends of the Royal Hospital Donnybrook is a charity dedicated to supporting The Royal Hospital Donnybrook and it’s patients. Our mission is to raise much needed funds to support research, equipment and capital projects which will enhance the facilities, comfort and care provided to the patients at the hospital.”
What the Friends funded in 2020
- The refurbishment of the Physiotherapy Department Click here to view before and after
- The Coffee Shop and Concourse Areas were painted and got new furniture
- A Visitation Co-Ordinator for the hospital so that residents and patients can have their loved ones visit in a safe environment.
- A Tanita Scales which gives multi-frequency body composition analysis
- As visitation is restricted due to the pandemic, we purchased 20 x 10″ tablets so that residents could have video calls with their friends and families.
- The Art Committee received €2,000 to fund cleaning and maintenance of the art collection.
- A Magic Table which provides interactive games has also been ordered.
Events Planned for 2021 include:
- Virtual Bridge Evening Tuesday 23 February 2021
- Annual Meeting Monday 22nd March in The Concert Hall, RHD @ 5.00pm. Cancelled
- Memorial Walk in memory of Robin Simpson Saturday 24th April 2021 cancelled
- Family Fun Day with Beechwood Football Club Saturday 28 August 2021
- 30th Annual Golf Day in Elm Park 14th September 2021
- Ladies Fundraising Lunch in The Merrion Hotel Friday 12th November 2021